Following the surge in cases of maltreatment of legal practitioners by security operatives whilst discharging official duties and obligations to clients, you may recall that the leadership of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) at the last NEC meeting set up the NBA – Securities Agencies Relations Committee (NBA-SARC) to work in liaison with all security agencies across the country to forestall the ugly trend.
In furtherance of the above, the NBA President has duly inaugurated the Committee. The Committee which was inaugurated on the 7th day of January 2022 is made up of the following members:
- Joe-Kyari Gadzama, SAN, MFR, OFR. (Chairman)- 08022231999
- Alex Muoka (Alternate Chairman)-08033009242
- Marian Jones (Secretary)-08033479752
- Taiwo Lakanu (DIG Rtd.) (Member)-08037160989
- Mohammad I. Tsav (Member)-07035653513
- Valentine Odili (Member)-08035047498
- Adanna Lynda Uba (Member)-08032925119
- Chief M. A. O. Iyamanbhor (Member)-08037204923
- Julie Ariahu (Member)-08023411581
- Salman Alhaji Salman (Member)-08037252757
- Nnaemeka Emmanuel Otagburuagu (Member)-08039566682
- Peter Chukwunyelu Ikebuaso (Member)-08033133739
- John Aikpokpo-Martins (Member)-08023063841
- Rabiah A. Hassan (Committee Liaison Officer)-08063579840
The Terms of Reference of the NBA-SARC are to:
- Formulate policies to be implemented by the NBA (whether alone or in collaboration with other stakeholders) that will deal holistically with the risk posed to Nigerian lawyers by security agencies.
- Collaborate with the relevant security agencies to promote and advance a mutually beneficial relationship between the said agencies and lawyers in Nigeria.
- Develop and promote proper protocols for engagement with security agencies by lawyers, in the course of carrying out their professional duties.
- Work with the various branches of the NBA to achieve, at the branch level, objectives that are similar to those set out in these terms of reference.
- Promptly intervene in cases of harassment, unlawful detention, intimidation, etc. of lawyers (in the course of carrying out their professional duties) by security agencies.
- Carry out any other function that may be assigned to the Committee by the President or the National Executive Council; and
- Make recommendations to the NBA President as appropriate and carry out such other functions that are consistent with the foregoing or which are necessary to achieve the mandate of the Committee.
Legal Practitioners who have, or are been unjustly intimidated, harassed, humiliated or subjected to unwarranted hardship in the course of interaction with any security agency, are enjoined to report same to the Committee via the telephone numbers of the Committee members highlighted above.
Dr. Rapulu Nduka
Nigerian Bar Association